Thursday, October 7, 2010

Western Australia Day Tour

 So I had a few days still in Perth, had visited the zoo, been to Rottsnest Island and seen the city, so I contemplated what to do next. There are many things to do all up and down the coast, but there are tour operators that will bus you around. I was a bit hesitant about those because previous encounters with tour bus groups around the world made me think 'ugh. you can't do anything on your own. It must be miserable.' However, I was by myself, not keen on renting a car to venture around, and thus, I booked a tour. While I didn't like the fact you had to follow the schedule of the group, it was nice to listen to the tour operator talk about the local history and point out various sites. The first place we stopped was Cape Lavender Farm. They were the first to make lavender infused white wine, and while it was quite nice (the aroma was tantalizing), it was a bit odd drinking wine at 10am. however, it's happy hour somewhere else in the world, right? They had 100 odd species growing at their place, and there are over 300 species of lavender in the world. I think I remember that correctly.
 While we stopped at a few other places, the next photo-worthy place was the Mammoth Cave. It was a hot day, and the cave itself was quite cool and interesting. We had an enjoyable tour guide who pointed out some favourite formations including a smiling crocodile (not pictured). Cave photography is incredibly difficult without a tripod, so I resorted to flash and harsh shadows. I've always enjoyed caves - fascinating what mother nature can do.
 We had sunshine that day, which, according to the tour bus operator, was an anomaly. He promised to stop at picturesque place so we could snap some pictures, even though this put us slightly behind schedule. This is the Bunbury Forest, and the trees were called karri trees? Maybe someone from W. Australia will know? Anyways, the dappled sunlight was quite spectacular. If I ever figure out panoramics, I have the photos to stitch together.... one day....
 The reasons I picked this trip was because my partner had recommended going to Cape Leeuwin. There is a lighthouse there, and, as you can see from the picture, the place where the southern ocean meets the Indian Ocean.
 The lighthouse itself is well maintained, and you can see how tall it is compared to some mere mortals. You have to be part of a tour to go up the lighthouse, which, as being part of a group, we didn't have the time for.
 As always, cool flowers in Oz.
Last stop was the Busselton Jetty, which is the longest wooden jetty in the southern hemisphere. This isn't the jetty, but it was the best picture from the area. All in all, I am glad I participated in one of these tours. They are handy if you are travelling on your own, and useful if you need to cram a bunch of stuff into a short period if you are limited by time. I met some interesting people, including a woman from Germany who was in Oz to study English and a gentlemen from Tasmania who was going to retire within a year (he was really looking forward to it). However, I did not like the lack of flexibility and the feeling of being in a herd. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment