Saturday, November 6, 2010

Canberra: Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve

About 1/2 hour outside of Canberra is the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve. My friend and I were accompanied by the brilliant scientist (and birder!) Hanna Kokko. On the way, I mentioned I would love a coffee, and Hanna knew of a great place that offered not only wonderful views, but excellent coffee.

The weather held out for the most part, and we explored some trails that took us near enormous rocks. Hanna and Sandra did their best to move it, and I think it moved a fraction of a millimeter.

And of course, we saw some beautiful birds.


We even found a nest of juveniles that were much more interested in getting fed than having their picture taken.
We were also on a quest to see a platypus. At dusk and dawn (platypus are nocturnal) is the best time to see them, but we were lucky enough to catch two of them swimming around. Not the best picture, but it is proof I saw one. Oz has the coolest animals!

No comments:

Post a Comment