Friday, January 14, 2011

Paihia, Opononi, Omapere and Waipoua Kauri Forest

We continued on our road trip, and while I wasn't the navigator, I was driving. Every once in a while, we'd pass something, and I'd pull over to snap some shots. We found a nice small waterfall en route to Waipoua Forest.

We also passed two small, coastal towns called Opononi and Omapere. For me, the most interesting part was the mix of sand and vegetation on the dunes across the water. It had me contemplating what kind of organisms would be able to adapt to such different microzones and what those adaptations would be... 






 And to everyone's amusement, we found a sign outside of a pub.

Last stop for the day was the Waipoua Kauri Forest. Here are some gorgeous hardwood trees. They are reminiscent of the ents in the film version of The Lord of the Rings. Fitting since the film was shot in New Zealand!





No comments:

Post a Comment